Re: base plate design

Harold,
Thanks. I'm looking for structural failures that were initiated at the base.
Overloaded tank sounds like a control or process failure and sure would have
been fun to watch from a distance. :)

The list has discussed hooked anchors pulling out of the concrete but ...
just discussions, no real forensic, analytical review information. I have
done remedial work on bases, usually because of something that occurred
after the design office. I have seen engineered details that I would
consider questionable but have no evidence that they are not sufficient
design. I have seen structural collapses which rotated the foundation out of
the ground on the end of a "pinned-base" column ... but not a wrinkle, crack
or stretch mark at the steel/concrete interface.

There are things that I know should occur for various types of base failure,
but I have never seen any in practice that could be attributed to design -
even multi-axial loading conditions.

The only thing that I have encountered (all too regularly), that I consider
a base failure, is cracked grout which is usually an engineered detail
failure. Apparently, nothing else seems to matter - or we just haven't
stretched that envelope far enough, yet.

Regards
Paul
--
Paul Ransom, P.Eng.