Englekirk

Studying some books, would be good to have a connection for questions.

Specifically,
Englekirk seismic design of reinforced and precast concrete buildings.
Ductility Section Page 17 there is an expression for Energy Dissipated
during a full hysteretic excursion.

Ed = (mu -1))*4*Deltay*Fy

What in particular is the 4 and the mu-1?

I am thinking that the mu-1 is return of the elastic response, and the 4 is
for the 4 quadrants...

Perhaps I have answered my own question.

Anyone else have a different answer?