Re: Speaking out

On Nov 16, 2009, at 2:49 AM, Abolhassan Astaneh-Asl wrote:

The problems are now surfacing and this is not over yet. This new bridge is not safe because of corruption of Caltrans and Metropolitan Transportation Commission's top officials as well as corruption of the Chair and members of the Caltrans Seismic Advisory Board.

I've mentioned this before, and maybe it won't hurt to mention it again. Calling another engineer 'corrupt' is not only libellous, it's a violation of the standards of conduct in most states including California. Very simply--

(10) A licensee shall not falsely or maliciously injure or attempt to injure the reputation or business of others.

Unless you have actionable proof (not just opinion) that will stand up in court, you're in violation of the law and subject to disciplinary action by the engineering board. And if you do have actionable proof, you're obligated by those same standards to bring it up formally in a complaint before the board.

In all candor, I haven't any idea whether you're right or wrong, just that you might want to give some thought to consequences when you use inflammatory words like 'corruption.'

http://www.skypoint.com/members/chrisw/