Re: Normalized Steel

On Nov 16, 2009, at 8:30 PM, Alfonso Quilala wrote:

Does the steel which will undergo heat treatment (normalizing) to improve its mechanical properties will change its chemical properties also?
No. normalizing is usually done to improve toughness. It's a grain refinement process involving heating to just under the critical temperature followed by a controlled cool.

We have a vendor that have surplus of ASTM A572 steel but need to normalized the steel in order to pass charpy test. Is it still required to submit another CMTR of the steel after the heat treatment? Or the original CMTR is sufficient?
Heat treatment changes the microstructure enough to change the mechanical properties, so you'll need new test reports. Certificates of compliance won't do it because you're apparently doing non- standard processing. And you'll want Charpy test results anyway.

I went through an old copy of ASTM A-572 and couldn't find any specified values for Charpy test. You might want to think about how you'll know what Charpy value you need to pass the test and what the testing temperature should be.

http://www.skypoint.com/members/chrisw/