Re: Federal judge rules Corps of Engineers liable for flood damage

Dear Sandy: Thanks for all your efforts and my heartfelt congratulations for all your efforts and the efforts of Levees.Org, the grass roots organization that you founded and nourished so tirelessly to achieve such a monumental victory against such a powerful organization such as Corp. We also need to congratulate my colleagues Professors Ray Seed and Professor Bob Bea, who also tirelessly helped your organization as well as spoke out on these wrong doings of Corp. I am sending a copy of this to our structural engineering forum called Seaint (Structural Engineering Association Int. ) where we currently having a very constructive debate among ourselves on how a small number of engineers in our profession which I have put at only 0.01% who act in a criminally negligent manner or are outright corrupt or both, neglect their prime responsibility to be to provide for public safety and focus either on preserving their jobs or simply pocketing illegitimate income or both. This is a great victory also for you to show how ASCE (the American Society of Civil Engineers) in a morally corrupt manner entered the picture right after Katrina and instead of investigating failure of levees on behalf of its members in an objective manner, exonerated the Corp of Engineers from any wrong doing. The same thing that ASCE did after the collapse of World Trade Center, when it took FEMA (Taxpayer's ) money and put the top officer of the firm (Skilling Ward Magnusson Barkshire , now Magnusson Klemencic Associates), Jon Magnusson, and the wife of Structural Engineer , Leslie E. Robertson , who was the structural engineer of the record on the Building Performance Assessment Team to investigate why WTC towers collapsed. Of course to no surprise, the ASCE/FEMA report (http://www.civil.columbia.edu/ce4210/FEMA_403CD/html/pdfs/403_cover-toc.pdf) falsely stated that there was no structural problem with the design of the WTC where there were countless violation of design code and practice of structural engineering including the use of "steel bearing walls" as the structural system and the use of steel truss joists in floors of a very tall skyscraper. As Sally Regenhardt ,our mutual friend and the founder of Skyscraper Safety Campaign (www.skyscrapersafety.org) which campaigns for safe skyscrapers since the collapse of WTC towers, has in all of her e-mails:

*/"Let us not grow tired in doing good.
For at the proper time, we will reap a harvest if we do not give up." Galatians 6:9/*/
**
/I hope one day ASCE and the structural engineers who designed WTC as well as ASCE and its officers who initiated a cover-up to exonerate The structural engineering firm as well as the structural engineer of the record from any wrong doing or even a minor negligence will be brought before a judge as well.

Sally, if you come to Berkeley, you should give a talk here at our Law School. You are the true American bringing out one of the things that makes this country so great: "Justice for All"

With best wishes and please relay my very best congratulations to all in Levees.Org

"Hassan"

Abolhassan Astaneh-Asl, Ph.D., P.E., Professor
www.ce.berkeley.edu/~astaneh
Levees.Org wrote:
Levees.Org

November 19, 2009

Dear Hassan

Federal Judge Stanwood Duval ruled late Wednesday that the Army Corps of Engineers' mismanagement of the Mississippi River-Gulf Outlet was directly responsible for flood damage of homes in St. Bernard Parish and the Lower 9th Ward of New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina.

The New York Times wrote "It was the first time that the government has been held liable for any of the flooding that inundated the New Orleans area after Aug. 29, 2005, vindicating the long-held contention of many in the region that the flooding was far more than an act of God."

Plaintiff attorneys Joe Bruno and Pierce O'Donnell said they expect to travel to Washington, D.C., as early as next week to try to convince members of the administration of President Barack Obama and members of Congress to consider revisiting requests for compensation by New Orleans-area residents in both the areas covered by the decision and in other areas flooded by corps-related failures of levees.

The corps allowed the channel to attack the levees in three ways, Duval said, allowing the levees to slump under their own weight, failing to armor the channel's banks against ship wakes and allowing saltwater to exacerbate the loss of wetlands throughout the area.

Check in with Levees.org's website for updates.

Thank you for supporting Levees.org.

We are winning.

Sandy Rosenthal
Founder, Levees.org

Click here for the NYTimes story.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/19/us/19orleans.html?_r=2 <http://salsa.wiredforchange.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=YRiy43aQ5mKus8pI8juflFGsOWZP7UkR>

You can see the judgement and opinion here.
http://www.wwltv.com/news/Federal-court--70421627.html <http://salsa.wiredforchange.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=gVLwcA9xJz9kNgyOtw0IklGsOWZP7UkR>

New York Chapter
bhschaffer(--nospam--at)levees.org

California Chapter