RE: ACI Grade Beam Construction Joint

Thanks Harold!

             Harold Sprague
             <spraguehope@hotm
             ail.com>                                                   To
                                       <rholtham(--nospam--at)cbi.com>,
             11/19/2009 11:44          <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>

                                                                   Subject
             Please respond to         RE: ACI Grade Beam Construction
             <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.or         Joint
                    g>

Rand,
Just extend the rebar beyond the joint and provide a class B lap unless the
bar is too big, then use a mechanical splice.  On the vertical face, I have
seen keys, roughened surface to 1/4" amplitude, or Stay-Form to provide a
roughened surface with no prep to provide a shear interlock.  Some
engineers like to provide Z shear bars across the interface to assure a
mechanical connection across the interface.  But that is more holes in the
forms.

Stay-Form makes the contractors happy, provides a roughened surface, and
makes me happy.  They have some very good details.
http://amico-stayform.com/pdf/Stay-Form%20Details%20b&w.pdf

Regards, Harold Sprague