From: Gary L. Hodgson and Assoc. [mailto:design(--nospam--at)hodgsoneng.ca]
Sent: Tuesday, November 24, 2009 5:58 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Grade 8 bolt properties

Joe,
I don't know what the intended use of your bolts, but remember that the
AISC specification only refers to 3 kinds of bolts for structural
purposes and machine bolts of grade 8 or 8.8 spec don't comply.  Of
course, if the bolts are under 1/2" you may have to use machine bolts.
I have one customer who keeps wanting to use the nice shiny SAE grade 8
bolts because they look better than those black A325 or A490 bolts.
Gary