Re: Katrina was not a natural catastrophe but a man-made one

To: Stan R. Caldwell, P.E., SECB,
Vice Presidentand and Manager of the Structures Group
Halff Associates, Inc., 1201 North Bowser Road
Richardson, TX 75081-2275

From: Abolhassan Astaneh-Asl, Ph.D., P.E.
Professor
781 Davis Hall,
University of California, Berkeley, CA, 94720-1710

Date: November 24, 2009

Subject: Your November 23, 2009 Hate Mail and Insult Directed towards me

This is to formally notify you that your posting of Nov. 23, 2009 on the Seaint forum (redacted below) constitutes "hate mail" and personal "insult" directed towards me and posted in a public forum for all to read. Your posting is unlawful and has caused and will continue to cause great harm and injury to me , my family and friends, my students, my clients and the fine University of California, where I am a professor. Since these postings are read throughout the world and remain on the Internet forever, even after I pass and no longer able to defend myself and my honor, the damage that you have caused will continue to hurt me and my family long after even have passed away. Unless you duly and immediately post an apology to me as well all who have read your posting, promise not to commit such an unlawful act in the future, ask Seaint to remove your posting and resign from being a member of this respected forum, I will consider seeking remedy through our judicial system for the harm and injury that you have caused. Furthermore, I will also report this extreme violation of Canons of Code of Ethics for Engineers issued by the National Society of Professional Engineers fro registered Professional Engineers, such as yourself to follow, and seek an investigation of the case.

With a copy of this to Seaint, I am also putting Seaint on notice that I consider the officers of Seaint an accomplice to what you have done since Seaint has not posted policy on abuse while notifying users not to use Seaint posts in unlawful manner for hate mail and personal insult and have not provided a mechanism for "report abuse" as is common in forums on the internet. Unless Seaint removes your posting immediately for abusing these pages and prevents you from abusing the forum to commit an illegal act, I may consider taking my case against Seaint to the judiciary as well.

For your information, here are the definitions of "hate mail" and "insult" below.

From Wikiepedia:

*Hate mail* (as electronic <http://www.answers.com/topic/e-mail>, posted <http://www.answers.com/topic/mail>, or otherwise) is a form of harassment <http://www.answers.com/topic/harassment>, usually consisting of invective and potentially intimidating or threatening comments towards the recipient. Hate mail often contains exceptionally abusive, foul or otherwise hurtful language.

The recipient may receive disparaging remarks concerning the subject's ethnicity <http://www.answers.com/topic/ethnic>, sexuality <http://www.answers.com/topic/human-sexual-behavior>, religion <http://www.answers.com/topic/religion>, intelligence <http://www.answers.com/topic/intelligence>, political ideology <http://www.answers.com/topic/ideologies-of-parties>, sense of ethics <http://www.answers.com/topic/ethics-legal-term>, or sense of aesthetics <http://www.answers.com/topic/aesthetics>. The text of hate mail often contains profanity <http://www.answers.com/topic/profanity>, or it may simply contain a negative, disappropriating message.

From http://www.yourdictionary.com/insult

in·sult (in sult*′*; /for n./ in*′*sult′)

transitive verb

  1. to treat or speak to with scorn, insolence, or great disrespect;
     subject to treatment, a remark, etc. that hurts or is meant to
     hurt the feelings or pride