Re: Grade 8 bolt properties

Gary,

I attended CSCE/Mike Gilmor's (formerly CISC) seminar on changes to the S16
for 2009. Out of the entire room of 80 professionals, there seemed to be
little understanding of bolt technology. Scary ... but it reflects the
quality of project specifications and designs that I see, daily. On slow
days, I like to toy with professionals who don't know what they are
designing.

That said, my guess is that a 1/4" dia. Gr 8 bolt to hang 100# is way
overkill, probably easily available and not worth the discussion for the
substitution. There may be some savings for a lower grade if large
quantities are required.

Regards
Paul
--