From: Thor Tandy [mailto:vicpeng(--nospam--at)telus.net]
Sent: November-26-09 9:04 PM
To: Andrew Watson; Andy Mill (Andy Mill); Barry Ferris (Wessex Engineering); Brian McClure (Trilogy); Cameron Graham (4D Eng); Chris Peterson (Genivar); Craig Sherwin (Sherwin Eng); Dan Kunimoto; Dave Bevan; David Davey; David Harvey; David Mann; David Romain (SPAR); Dennis Vacha (White Water); Derek Smith (Rockingham); Don Matheson; Doug Gairns; Duane Palibroda (Fast & Epp)); Fergus Foley (Access Eng); Gary Berkeley; Glen Fraser; Greg Beaveridge; Harbinder Bal (Harbinder Bal); Jack Yang (Jack Yang); Jamie Lawson (Jamie Lawson); Janilo Gargaran; Jim Galloway (Genivar); Jim Mutrie (Home); John Scott; Kevin Baskin (Kevin Baskin); Lorne Lapham (Lorne Lapham); Mahomed Kathrada (KM Eng); Marian Podlovsky; michael(--nospam--at)section-t.com; Mike Penner; Nelson Santos (Nelson Santos); Nizar Esmail (Nizar Esmail); Pat Triggs (Pat Triggs); Paul Heinrichs; Peter Mitchell; Ralph Watts; Ritchie Smith (Hoel); Rob Barton (Home); Rob Quiring (Rob Quiring); Rob Simpson (Glotman-Simpson); Rob Wills; Robert Jirava; Rudolph Kevesdi (Rudolph Kevesdi); Steve Hoel (JSH Engineering); Steve Malkow; Theo Kerkhoff; Thomas Leung; Ziggy Slosmanis (Ziggy Slosmanis)
Cc: SEAInt
Subject: TJL Joists

I'm investigating cutting some existing TJL joists to form a services chase
up through a couple of floors and out the roof.  These joists are no longer
in production (5yrs+) and the TrusJoist/Weyhauser  rep I spoke with used to
be an "expert' in the production but can't remember all the details.  I have
a 90's manual but it doesn't give me the tech info I need.

1)      I need to find out what the web tube strengths are for those joists.
They used to be colour coded grn, red, blue.  Does anyone know what
strengths these represent?

2)      These are 18" for the floor and 14" for the roof.

3)      Does anyone know what the web tube angle is?  Dependent on the depth
of the truss?

4)      The existing span is 20' for all levels.

5)      I want to cut them by about 36" and re-support them with an LVL or
something and am considering:

a)      Top or bottom support at a panel point - no upgrade to truss if I
can get the above tech info ...?

b)      "Re-design" the truss and create a ply box beam detail at the new
reaction/shear/bearing.  But I still need to know what the web tube
strengths and angles are to determine the length of ply wood side panels .

Any thoughts welcome.

TIA

Thor