Base plate design forces in SDC D

Title: Message

List,

I am designing a Piperack(R = 2.5) base plate & Anchor bolt in SDC 'D'.  Per AISC 341-05, section 8.5(given below), I am getting very large design forces

I am not sure whether this is the general procedure, other engineers follow.

Section 8.5 a.  - AXIAL FORCE

 Need to follow section 8.3, that is, the force should be lesser of the following:

 a.  amplified seismic load comb. & other load comb per code.

 b.  1.1Ry*(Area of column)

 Section 8.5 b.  - SHEAR

 The critical force should be lesser of the following:

 a.  amplified seismic load comb. & other load comb per code.

 b.  1.1Ry*(Area of column)/H.

 H = Height above & below of the column considered.

 Section 8.5 c.  - Flexural Strength  (for column fixed base?)

The critical force should be lesser of the following:

 a.  amplified seismic load comb. & other load comb per code.

 b.  1.1/1.5Ry*(Fy * Zx)

Per discussion with AISC, I am using R = 1 for beam moment connection & comparing with 1.1RyFy*Z (design per AISC design guide # 4) to get the design force.

I think for other connections(base plate/anchor bolt/bracing) also,  using R =1  gives big forces but not as huge as section 8.5.

Can you pl. give any input in this design forces?

Thanks

Ravi Vasu