RE: Haiti ! - U.S. Embassy?

>From a State Dept briefing:

DAS Jacobson: Let me clarify. The U.S. embassy in Port-au-Prince is actually, the building itself is in very very good shape. It has not been damaged. The embassy in Port-au-Prince is quite a new building and withstood the earthquake very well, and we have many of our mission personnel at the embassy working. They have also been able to continue –- Communication is a bit spotty, but they have had generation for power, water and so forth.
What we have heard is severely damaged is the MINUSTAH Headquarters, the UN Stabilization Mission in Haiti. For those of you who may have been there, MINUSTAH is located up a little bit on the side of the hills in Port-au-Prince either down a block or just next to the Hotel Montina, which is where many of the MINUSTAH people stay. The hotel and the MINUSTAH headquarters were both very badly damaged. Because of the time of day, even if folks had left work, they may have returned to the hotel where they stay and live. So unfortunately, there are a pretty significant number of UN personnel who are not accounted for and the damage was very severe there. So that’s of great concern to us.

Regards, Harold Sprague

To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: Haiti ! - U.S. Embassy?
From: Tom.Hunt(--nospam--at)fluor.com
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2010 16:10:09 -0800

Does any know how the U.S. Embassy faired?

Thomas Hunt

Harold Sprague <spraguehope(--nospam--at)hotmail.com>
01/14/2010 03:50 PM
Please respond to seaint
<seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
cc
Subject
RE: Haiti !

David,
That is a truly important point.  We focus too much on the failed structures and do not pay proper attention to what did not fail.

Regards, Harold Sprague