steel joist web member K value

I am helping another engineer do an investigation of some steel joists.  They are not from a major mfg. such as Vulcraft probably shop built.

The web members are round rods welded to the web members which are HSS sections.  There was a failure with the joists due to heavy snow loading and the webs failed (buckled out of plane) as an analysis would indicate.  I will have to contact my associate, but I think in most cases the welds did not fail.  He did mention one in particular, but I think the majority of the welds were OK and if anything that one failure was probably to the weld but at the HSS wall at the weld.

I would like to check the joist using a K=.85 at these web members.  I think that is more that reasonable.  Does anybody think otherwise?

Thanks,

Joe Grill

Joseph R. Grill, PE

Verde Valley Engineering, PLLC