RE: aci318 app d rods vs. rebar

So then you would agree that welding rebar to an embed plate DOES yield a higher capacity than using headed studs of similar make-up?

I’ve actually had another engineer recommend this to me.  On checking I found, oddly enough, his assessment to be apparently valid! not that I took that route in the end, however (it seemed a little like cheating…)

From: Harold Sprague [mailto:spraguehope(--nospam--at)hotmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, January 19, 2010 1:26 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: aci318 app d rods vs. rebar

Paul,

Bar to concrete development depends on a mechanical lock and an adhesive bond.  The adhesive bond is a function of the surface condition of the bar.  That is why you get a different value for epoxy vs. plain bars.  The mechanical lock is a function of the deformations on the rebar or the threaded bar as may be the case.

Look at section 7 & 8 of the ASTM A615 that defines the deformations that rebar must have for the mechanical bonding of rebar to concrete.  There is no similar requirement for threads.  Further, there is no requirement for threaded rod embedded in concrete to be of any particular kind of thread.  Granted, most will be UNC, but the threading varies with the diameter of the rod no matter what threading is specified.

There are manufacturers that have threaded bar that comply with ASTM 615 so you get the best of both worlds.  One manufacturer is Dywidag http://www.bar-anchor.com/.  Another is Williams http://www.williamsform.com/.  They are commonly used for rock anchors and for box segmental concrete design.

Regards, Harold Sprague