RE: steel joist web member K value

Now I understand.  You are trying to predict the maximum capacity or incipient failure of the static load.  In that case the K=.85 would be reasonable upper bound for an incipient failure postulated load.

Regards, Harold Sprague

From: vveng(--nospam--at)cableone.net
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: steel joist web member K value
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2010 12:52:00 -0700

Harold,

Thanks for the reply.  If I was doing the design, I would use K=1.0.  In this case it’s more of why the joist failed and at what superimposed snow load it failed in addition compare to what would have been a more realistic “code” level design.  There isn’t a decking system to restrain the top chord, but it appears that the web members were the first to go by compression web buckling.  I will note that the restraint at the top chord (1/3 points) appears a bit shaky, but must have worked, because without it, it would appear the joists would have failed at the top chord much sooner.  Also, there had to have been some end condition, “fixity” at the web members, or they would have buckled much sooner.  Which “K” value is picked is kind of a backwards judgment to kind of fit the failure at the approximate load at failure.  Hope that all “makes some sense”

Joe Grill