Plywood Shear Wall Nailing

I was part of an investigation where OSB panels had been exposed to rain. The swelling appeared to have receded but not 100% nails are now flush. Laboratory tested panels, removed from the building, demonstrated a 20% loss of strength. Test of edges with and with out water stains were compared to determine the results. A minimum number of samples were enough to demonstrate a loss but not to rely on the amount of loss.

Within a few months of finishing over wet sheathing and framing, screws and nails will be discovered pushing out of finishes or plaster popping off connector heads. The visual affect can initiate complaints.

David Merrick