From: pffei(--nospam--at)aol.com
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2010 12:06:22 -0500
Subject: aci318 app d rods vs. rebar
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org

Can anyone clarify why the tension and shear development of threaded anchor=
bolts (aci appendix d)  treated so differently than rebar?  the calculatio=
ns for rebar development for shear friction and tension are much simpler th=
an threaded anchors.  It is seemingly much easier to develop the capacity o=
f rebar in concrete than an anchor rod and the impacts of minimal edge dist=
ance are much less.  also, section 1908.1.16 of the cbc has a further reduc=
tion on capacity of threaded anchors if subject to seismic loads.  there do=
es not see to be a similar provision in the code if rebar is used tor the a=
nchor element instead of a threaded rod.

I have found little literature on deep embedment of threaded anchors, but w=
hy couldn't depth to develop tension capacity of a f1554 grade 36 rod be tr=
eated similarly to the same diameter of grade 60 rebar?

Thanks in advance for any discussion on the matter.

Paul Franceschi