RE: LOADING: Rubber-Tired Construction Crane

As noted on the fourth page, rated loads include the hook block, slings and auxiliary lifting devices.  These are to be subtracted from the rated “pick” loads which do not include any crane weights other than the stuff hanging from the wire rope.  The working ranges are primarily there to help you decide on a boom configuration for any given pick.  I think you are looking for a crane traveling weight, both with load and without load.  I didn’t see this here and I don’t think the load off front without outriggers is a travelling load.  As you noted, I agree that this should be verified.  Also, see the note on the third page near the exclamation note about “travelling with loads”.  I think that is a special case not covered on these spec sheets.

From: bill(--nospam--at)polhemus.cc [mailto:bill(--nospam--at)polhemus.cc]
Sent: Tuesday, January 26, 2010 1:34 PM
To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Subject: LOADING: Rubber-Tired Construction Crane

I'm looking at the cut-sheets for the Galion 150 Series Hydraulic Mobile Crane, found here:

http://www.maximcrane.com/loadcharts/1%20%20%20Carry%20Deck%20Cranes/Galion_Dressser_Drott/150_Series_15T_SeriesGalion.pdf

First, I'm not exactly sure how to read the load tables they have here, but it seems as though they're indicating the maximum load at any given angle, with and without outriggers, and the maximum load specifically with the boom straight front, without outriggers (i.e. the crane could travel with the load in this case).

Then, the "working ranges" chart seems to indicate how to "translate" load positions with the boom raised in terms of the "Working radius" shown on the earlier load charts.

But I am ASS-UMING that these are the "working loads" and don't include the self-weight of the crane+boom/jib itself. What I want to do is figure out the max. wheel loads on this thing for purposes of supporting it on a structure (e.g. bridge/crawlway, etc.)

Does anyone have any additional information for this particular machine, or any insights into how I might arrive at the total wheel loads I need?