RE: Career Day Presentation

I asked a guy in my office (a structural engineer) whose wife works with a university to get high school Students interested in engineering.

Here is what he said:

I’ve never really done this before. I asked my wife, but she really doesn’t know anything that is prepared beforehand and nothing specifically about structural engineering.

If you have a projector, you can run an involved finite element model.  It’s always something that looks cool to kids.  Something that looks highly technical and pretty colorful. I’d give a description on the different areas of structural engineering, (commercial, residential, industrial, institutional, and transportation).  Then I would walk them through a day in the life of a structural engineer (everything from design to coordination with other disciplines).

Other than that, it can be very difficult – a common misconception is that structural engineers are somehow not as skilled or as knowledgeable as architects.  I always tell kids that architects can be very creative, but engineers make things work (or keep things from failing).

Patrick Busick
                Columbus, OH