RE: Career Day Presentation

At my kids' elementary school, we built 3 separate bridges using Legos, K'Nex (I think that's how it's spelled), and cardboard tubes w/ tape and loaded them up until they failed.  That was the best part for the kids, as the huzzahs were boldly proclaimed as the bridges were destroyed ... crazy world, right?  I know that my friends and I would have also cheered in my grammar school days.

-----Original Message-----
From: Christopher Wright [mailto:chrisw(--nospam--at)skypoint.com]
Sent: Wednesday, January 27, 2010 8:24 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Career Day Presentation

On Jan 27, 2010, at 8:27 AM, Patrick Busick wrote:

> I've never really done this before. I asked my wife, but she really
> doesn't know anything that is prepared beforehand and nothing
> specifically about structural engineering.
I've done it a couple of times, including for my own kids. I've
always found that properly chosen horror stories work real well.
Destruction really catches the eye, even if it's just a tinker toy
model. Finite element models look whizzy but only for a few minutes.
So you should probably have several with different deflection plots,
all animated.  When you get into explaining why you're doing it, eyes
tend to glaze over. I had my best luck when there was something to
pick up or climb around.

1864)
http://www.skypoint.com/members/chrisw/