Re: Career Day Presentation

I used the West Point program a few years ago.  I started with a simple bridge model that would immediately collapse and then progress through a series of stronger models until the truck made it across.  The kids loved the truck falling down with the bridge sagging.

There was a Calvin and Hobbes cartoon several years ago on bridge loading.  Calvin asks his dad how they rate bridges and he responds that they drive trucks over the bridge, each one being heavier than the one before it.  When truck X collapses the bridge, they know the rating and just rebuild the bridge.  If anyone wants the cartoon, I may still have the scanned jpeg.

Rich Kipke wrote:
the West Point bridge design contest software might give a nice and simple graphical demonstration of a failure . . then beef up a size to show how we make it work.

Rich Kipke