Career Day Presentation

On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 7:57 PM, Drew Morris <dmorris(--nospam--at)bbfm.com> wrote:
I used the West Point program a few years ago.  I started with a simple bridge model that would immediately collapse and then progress through a series of stronger models until the truck made it across.  The kids loved the truck falling down with the bridge sagging.

There was a Calvin and Hobbes cartoon several years ago on bridge loading.  Calvin asks his dad how they rate bridges and he responds that they drive trucks over the bridge, each one being heavier than the one before it.  When truck X collapses the bridge, they know the rating and just rebuild the bridge.  If anyone wants the cartoon, I may still have the scanned jpeg.

Here: http://imgur.com/gROSt.gif
By the way, we often use the anatomical metaphor when speaking with clients. We usually do assessments so if the client asks for a better structural rating to go into report, you just tell him, "if your doctor tells you have cancer, would you pay him extra to revoke the diagnosis?"
P.s. Really glad to see the list back online. Happy new year, everyone.
--
Alexander Bausk
http://bausk.wordpress.com