From: Christopher Wright [mailto:chrisw(--nospam--at)skypoint.com]
Sent: Wednesday, January 27, 2010 9:01 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Career Day Presentation

On Jan 27, 2010, at 12:16 PM, Daryl Richardson wrote:

> most helpful was a course called " Career Life Planning"  This
> course presented methods of self analysis and the prioritization of
> one's wants and needs.  On completing this course I came to realize
> that, as an engineer, I already was in the best and most rewarding
> career for me.  One of the references used in that course was a
> book called "What Color is Your Parachute?"  Your wife might find
> this book useful if she is in the business of helping students make
> career choices.

My experience is that career life planning is an oxymoron. Any career
path that you could possibly plan out would be so confining you'd
probably end up riding the rails or drinking yourself to death. I
doubt that 1 in 10 college (let alone high-school) graduates have the
self-knowledge or the understanding of technological change to plan
out a career path, not to mention foresee the all the dips and peaks
of an 21st century life. I think you could make a good statistical
argument for that from the engineering turnover rate alone. Maybe you
could have done that 150 years ago before technological change became
so fast, but not these days. It'd be interesting to see how many of
the list subscribers think they could have possibly foreseen all
they've experienced in the last 30 years

I don't think think that's a negative aspect of engineering.
Explaining that to the engineering wannabes could be a very positive
thing.

1864)
http://www.skypoint.com/members/chrisw/