RE: Career Day Presentation - The Christopher Wright Perspective

        Listers,
                I’m with Chris. Every time I made a conscious career plan, I prepared as the plan required and it eventually did not work one way or another. Each time a plan failed, I sort of fell into something else that was rewarding in enough ways to be worthwhile. I do not understand how it is that people continue to say things like, “If you don’t know where you’re going, any road will get you there.” Of course you do not know where you are going. If you did exactly what you envisioned as a teenager or even young adult, your life would probably be suffocating. And I think this is not too far off Daryl’s point, too – continue to consider all possibilities, whether they look like your plan or not.
                One comment I would make, if the children were old enough to ponder human nature objectively, is that one should not decide against a career because his  parent(s) did that and hated it. People tend to discuss the things that go poorly or are difficult. We do not rejoice in things that go well, we take them for granted. Therefore, it would be easy for all parents to give their children the idea that ones parents career was miserable, true or not.
                Hope this is not too off-topic.
        Have a good day (and tell your family about it),
        Jim Getaz