re Career Days

SEAINT

In the past  20  years  I've   given  dozens of presentation to students.....  all without a power point presentation.

I've found the best way to lecture  to  children,  students of all ages is by demonstration

I  build bridge models,  building  models  to  show  load  paths.

Give the students  some  challenges...

Simple  problem      One  sheet of paper  and  a  pencil

Can the student  get the piece of paper to support the pencil  supported  by  two   books  at end of the paper ?

What can  be  done to the piece of paper   to make it  support a weight ??

I  bring into  the classrooms ,  career days    examples of our  construction materials.

Small section of a steel  member,    all types of concrete,   Masonry  Block,   Bolts

Getting  back to the paper  problem   can the student  figure out the  paper  needs to be  folded?

Then  I  show the student a  piece  of  composite metal  deck  showing the we  use  folded  metal to support  concrete

I  could go on and on

I am  NOT  alone in these  demonstrations

One of my colleagues  (Larry Novak ,  PCA)    has his own portable wind-tunnel  used to  show  students,   adults  how  buildings  move !!!!

Larry , I    ( and others )   give this  demonstration  are the IIT EXPO,  and   career  days

Here's a few  pictures
volunteer to  IIT-EWEEK /  Rice Campus -Dupage
check this out:

THESE PICTURES!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/41494787@N03/         (check them out!)

For 2009 SEAOI was a partner in the hugely successful Science Chicago program.  SEAOI was one of the few engineering societies to be a partner.   Larry Novak  gave a  lecture as part of the Science Saturday program.   The Video of the lecture is posted on Youtube.

view the  30 minute  video  here!

part 1  -  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCK8XWHgBwo&feature=channel

part 2  -  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAv5G1ZyCZ8&NR=1

part 3  -  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJ0Pk6bMD0A&feature=related

Make sure you watch the   LEGO Building shake!

 Bob Johnson
volunteer  to     www.futurecitychicago.org

some additional   pictures:

 Shearwalls