Roof Deck Live Loads

Sorry if this message has already been posted, but I didn't see it so, so here it is again

I am designing a 3 story Type V apartment building which has a “Roof Terrace” above the top floor which is accessible from 2 stairways located outside the units, (i.e.- I guess anyone could access the roof terrace). The old code, (’97 UBC), would allow the roof to be designed for 40 psf live load, (Roof Decks, Item 15 of Table 16_A, ’97 UBC), but the current code, (’07 CBC or ’06 IBC), Table 1607.1 doesn’t have this category in it, (Roof Decks). Is considering this area a “Deck”, (Item 9 of Table 1607.1), appropriate, or should it be considered a possible “Assembly Area” due to it’s access from both exterior stairs? I feel 100 psf assembly live load is way to conservative for it’s use, but I guess anything is possible.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Larry Hauer, S.E.