Re: Roof Deck Live Loads

Larry:
If this deck is to be used as a required exit from an upper level servicing an occupant of 10 or more,  the live load would be 100 psf for design. If it is basically a residential balcony, the live load is 50 psf.  Because of the access, I wouldn't use anything less than 40 psf for a roof deck that could be used as an exterior deck by the occupants.  Hope this helps.

Ray Shreenan  SE

From: Larry Hauer <lhauer(--nospam--at)live.com>
To: Struct. Eng. Assoc. <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Sent: Fri, January 29, 2010 2:54:43 PM
Subject: Roof Deck Live Loads

Sorry if this message has already been posted, but I didn't see it so, so here it is again

I am designing a 3 story Type V apartment building which has a “Roof Terrace” above the top floor which is accessible from 2 stairways located outside the units, (i.e.- I guess anyone could access the roof terrace). The old code, (’97 UBC), would allow the roof to be designed for 40 psf live load, (Roof Decks, Item 15 of Table 16_A, ’97 UBC), but the current code, (’07 CBC or ’06 IBC), Table 1607.1 doesn’t have this category in it, (Roof Decks). Is considering this area a “Deck”, (Item 9 of Table 1607.1), appropriate, or should it be considered a possible “Assembly Area” due to it’s access from both exterior stairs? I feel 100 psf assembly live load is way to conservative for it’s use, but I guess anything is possible.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Larry Hauer, S.E.