RE: Roof Deck Live Loads

We can’t second guess whether people **might** do dumb things.  Someone **might** use their living room for a fireplace showroom.  Should we design a living room for 100 psf because of the possibility?  Should 30 million home buyers pay an extra 5% for their homes because some bonehead might load CMU blocks to the ceiling in the spare bedroom?

What does it take to get 100 psf moved up to a roof deck?  Think about it.  What is a parking garage designed for?  A file room.?  It would take an extreme act of idiocy to overstress this deck to failure.  We’ve got stress factors in there looking over it, too

Not to say that **someone**, **somewhere** won’t do it.  But that’s not our responsibility to account for it.  Providing sound engineering to our clients, is.

If there’s good reason to believe something WILL be overloaded, or if I client requests it, use experience and engineering judgment and go.  But if I overdesigned to that extent as a general course, I’d lose my clients.

We’ve got people writing building codes that have (presumably) taken our concerns into consideration.  Take it and run with it.  I’m often asked if my designs are “real” or did I beef them unnecessarily like “all structural engineers do”  Now I see why. “Just making sure” has another term.  It’s called good, sound, engineering.

Jerry D. Coombs, P.E.
Coombs Engineering Services
214-287-4696

www.coombsengineering.com

jcoombs(--nospam--at)coombsengineering.com