Re: Structural Engineering Rules of Thumb

Stiffness Rules!

On Feb 4, 2010, at 5:34 PM, "Gerard Madden, SE" <gmse4603(--nospam--at)gmail.com> wrote:

1. Don't start work on a project until you get paid your retainer and the check clears.
2. Don't respond to requests for plan check response, RFI's, etc... until you're paid current by your client.
3. Grow thick skin.

-gm

On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 10:39 AM, Michel Blangy <mblangy(--nospam--at)satco-inc.com> wrote:
Here is one I have been working on just this week:

For wood shearwalls each 1,000# of uplift force will require 10x that in weight of concrete for the purpose of designing the anchor.

 ----Original Message-----
From: Jeremy White [mailto:admin(--nospam--at)structuralae.com]
Sent: Thursday, February 04, 2010 10:20 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Structural Engineering Rules of Thumb

Hello Everyone,

I have been compiling a list of structural engineering rules of thumb.  The list is far from complete so I wanted to get some input from the group to see if anyone has their own list they would like to share.  You can send it to me directly if you like.

Included already are some of the rules of thumb from Ruddy/Ioannides for steel and Fanella for concrete.

You can find the rules of thumb at the following link:

http://structuralpedia.com/index.php?title=Category:Rules_of_Thumb

Thanks,

Jeremy

Structural Engineering Rules of Thumb