Re: Structural Engineering Rules of Thumb

Vish,
the pricing of books in the Soviet Union was very low, indeed, for the local market as well. This was not due to the political intrigue, simply the science and education was heavily subsidised by the state.
I wonder whether the book was translated. If not, you should be able to find out its original price in roubles stamped on the back of the hardcover.
Now a days, new books can be costly. Well anyway, we mostly use electronic scans of the older books and e-book versions of the newer literature. Many editions are published in Russia and are not in supply locally. In this case, I print out the whole book and then have it bound, in this way obtaining a good quality hardcover copy. This costs around USD 7-8 per 400p b/w textbook if you count paper and toner.
Regards,
Alex.
--
Alexander Bausk