RE: Structural Engineering Rules of Thumb

Several years ago, make that many years ago (red book), I worked out the formulas in the AISC beam diagrams to calculate deflection based on moment.  I worked it out for moment to be in k-ft and length to be in feet.  These are easy formulas to remember.  I copy them over every time I get a new AISC book.

Uniform load

Delta=5wl^4/(384EI)  For steel this is Delta=(M*L^2)/(161*I)  For any other material it is delta=(180*M*L^2)/(E*I)

Point load in middle

Delta=Pl^3/(48EI)   For steel this is Delta=(M*L^2)/(201*I)

For a center peak triangular load

Delta=(W8l^3)/(60*E*I)  For steel this is Delta=(M*L^@)/(168*I)

And I did this for several more load cases.  What is interesting is the Uniform load produces the highest deflection.  It has the smallest denominator constant.  So, if you want a quick conservative deflection check, not matter what the actual loading is, the Delta=(M*L^2)/(161*I)  will give you the largest deflection possible.

Reverse Delta and ‘I’ and you get quick equations to calculate minimum ‘I’ required for a deflection ratio limit.

I usually have my results from analysis in k-ft & ft so these formulas are very handy.

Rich