Re: Structural Engineering Rules of Thumb

Alexander,

It's great to hear from a Russian.

Thanks for responding and for clarifying that prices of text books were low in Russia too and it was due to heavy subsidy by the Russian Government and not a political move to be one up on the Americans.

Some of my colleagues underwent training in the USSR during those years and they had unebelievable stories to tell about how inexpensive life was in your country. They were particularly impressed with the Moscow underground Railway transport how little it cost.

Yes this book is indeed a translation from the original Russian.
The publishing company was Mir Publishers of Moscow.
It is 520 page book and it still amazes me that that this book could sell for Rs 7.25!

We had other great Russian Texts too.
Stalniks Constructsi (not sure of the spelling) was a great manual loaded with useful tables and information for Steel design, fabrication and construction.
Structural Mechanics by Darkov and Kuzetnzov was another great book that competed with the American CK Wangs book on Statically indeterminate structures.
I am overawed by the amount of hard work put in by the authors those days in compiling the tables, charts and nomograms  when computers were not available.
I remember another great book on portal frames by a Russian Author called Bitchkov.
It listed diagrams of innumerable single and double bay flat and pitched roof portal frames, with bases pinned, and fixed and with columns prismatic or with single or double stepped. Each of these cases (in various combinations of the above cases) was treated on a new page.
All one needed to do was to plug in the values of the bay width, height, MI ratios between rafter and column and the loads/moments.
The book gave formulas for the Horizontal shear at the base, the moment at the base and at the eaves, for standard loads like udl on the roof, udl on the walls, and lateral point load at the eaves and moment and lateral point load at the column stepping levels.
Equipped with just a slide rule we worked out some practical values for checking the columns without any sophisticated Frame analysis.
Those were the days!
Today we have become button pushers.
Regards
Vish