Re: Plan bracings for beams in SDC 'D'

Ravi,

Per ASCE 7-05 Table 15.4-1 if your piperack is less than 65 feet tall than you could use an R value of 3.25 (see footnote b).  Although not specifically spelled out in the code, the typical resolution is to use a double story X bracing or add vertical "zipper-columns" and ignore the horizontal brace support criteria.

Thomas Hunt, S.E.
Fluor

"Vasu, Ravi" <Ravi.Vasu(--nospam--at)jacobs.com>
02/10/2010 09:24 AM
Please respond to seaint
<seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
cc
Subject
Plan bracings for beams in SDC 'D'

List,

I have a piperack with longitudinal bracings(inverted V) in OCBF(R = 2.5).  Per AISC 341 section 14.3, the bracing point at the
center of the beam needs plan bracings to satisfy Specification eqn. A-6-7 & A-6-8 (Appendix 6).
I have few bents (chevron) braced in the other direction also.

My question is, do we need to give the plan bracings for beams at all the chevron bracings connection ?
Is there any exception/general practice for Piperack to satisfy this clause?

Thanks for your time & reply.

Ravi Vasu

NOTICE - This communication may contain confidential and privileged information that is for the sole use of the intended recipient. Any viewing, copying or distribution of, or reliance on this message by unintended recipients is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please notify us immediately by replying to the message and deleting it from your computer.