From: Dave Adams
Sent: Tuesday, February 16, 2010 10:27 AM
Subject: Structural stability of fire walls

Hello all,

Someone has probably brought this up before, but perhaps not.  How are you all handling the sections of the code which require fire walls to remain standing if the building portion on either side collapses from a fire (Section 705.2, for example)?  I have seen a detail that shows an essentially complete gravity load resisting wall system on each side, thus creating a three-walled fire wall system.  This seems like overkill.

Thanks,

Dave K. Adams, S.E.

Lane Engineers, Inc.

Tulare, CA