Re: Structural Engineering Rules of Thumb

Thanks for the Rules of Thumb.

I have included them in the master list on StructuralPedia.

If you come up with more let me know.

- Jeremy

Quoting Daryl Richardson <h.d.richardson(--nospam--at)shaw.ca>:

Vish,

This is, indeed, a useful "rule of thumb"; I use it a lot. It can, in fact, be improved upon. Consider the following items.

1.)  Consider Defl. = m*L^2/(K*E*I)

2.)  For uniform load, K = 9.8, ~ 10 as you have pointed out.

3.)  For concentrated load at centre, K = 12.

4.) For equal but opposite end moments (M = constant throughout the beam length). K = 8.

Given the above, one can "inspect" the bending moment and ( without calculation) arbitrarily adjust the K value. Perhaps you can use K = 9, or K = 11, to get even better results from the "rule of thumb" you have proposed.

Regards,

H. Daryl Richardson