RE: Structural Engineering Rules of Thumb

Late, but here are a few I use often.

For me, my steel beams end up mostly being governed by deflection.  So I
start w/ solving for the req'd I
For steel, w/ L/360, W is K/FT, L is feet.
I req'd is-

Uniform load:
  Simple beam  W(L^3)/43 = .0238xWL^3 = ML/5.375
  Cantilever = same as above x9.6
Point Load-
  Load at center-   = PL^2/26.8  = ML/6.7
  Cantilever = PL^2/1.68

For Triangular load across full span it's close enough to uniform load to
use those.

For other deflection parameters, multiply by appropriate ratio.

Now, check for typos and get back to me by Friday... :o]

Jerry D. Coombs, P.E.
Coombs Engineering Services
214-287-4696
www.coombsengineering.com