*From:* Drew Morris [mailto:dmorris(--nospam--at)bbfm.com]
*Sent:* Wednesday, February 24, 2010 1:50 PM
*To:* seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
*Subject:* Re: Blind connection to roof sheathing

Can you put some flat blocking against the bottom of the sheathing? This would give you a deeper section to put the screws into.

Joseph R. Grill wrote:

I am looking for a connector to attach a small galv. Steel bracket to roof sheathing. Understanding all the implications of weather and moisture protection and plywood stresses for the application. I will deal with those a bit later as I am trying to come up with some ideas for a proposed project. I would still like to find something if available. The connector will have to be structural with available values, of course. The bracket will be subject to a tension force (although fairly small and the sheathing will probably check out) therefore pull through will be one of the issues. So something with some sort of washer type of backup would be nice. Others have suggested a wood screw to the plywood and have justified with calculations, but I don’t think it is even close to being a good idea. The diameter is small. The wood screw ideas were #9 so that is the diameter that is what is being considered at this point.

Any help would be appreciated.

Joe

Joseph R. Grill, PE

Verde Valley Engineering, PLLC

2220 Sky Drive

Clarkdale, AZ 86324

Ph. 928-600-5459

Fax 928-649-3659

email: VVEng(--nospam--at)cableone.net <mailto:VVEng(--nospam--at)cableone.net>