RE: Ads on SEAINT

We were getting them, but the IT set up a rule in outlook to permanently delete Seaint-ad(--nospam--at)seaint.org, haven’t seen any since.

Jason

From: Scott Maxwell [mailto:smaxwell(--nospam--at)umich.edu]
Sent: Thursday, February 25, 2010 9:55 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Ads on SEAINT

I have not gotten any ads "on" SEAINT (i.e. that come addressed to "seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org")...at least that I could tell at first blush.  But, I have gotten a bunch of spam that is supposedly from "seaint-ad(--nospam--at)seaint.org" (which is Shafat Qazi's "admin" email address for the SEAINT list)...just got one today at about 11 am.  It is possible that it is still technically coming through the SEAINT server as the Internet email header seems to suggest that.  If so, my guess is that they are BCCing the List and spoofing the "seaint-ad(--nospam--at)seaint.org" email address for the "from" and "to" address (which is likely why the server is letting them through as that email address is a "registered member" of the List and thus has posting "rights").  If they are BCCing the List, then that would explain why my email filter does not move those messages to my "SEAINT" folder and why they do not seem to come from the List on first blush.

There have been about 3 or 4 every week or so.  Personally, I just delete them and move on...but then spam does not tend to bother me all that much...I just delete it as it comes in...but that is just me.

Regards,

Scott