Historical Yield Stress

I’m working on a build out of an older structure.  There is no information, plans, permits, etc on the original construction, or any of the retrofit work contained in the building…….

I’ve pegged some of the member sizes to ASD Ed. 7 as the last printing that contained their sizes, and one of the members had a W18x60 shop mark, which excludes the possibility of previous editions – as the appropriate designation would have been WF18x7.5 for ASD6

This puts the construction between 1970 and 1980 (maybe 1985 considering many engineers don’t readily update their steel manuals)

With that, I am curious if there were common grades used other/lower than 36ksi for wide flange beams during this period?  And am I correct that the use of 50ksi steel was rare during this period (is 36ksi a safe/conservative assumption)?

Thank you,

Richard Calvert, EIT

Project Engineer

Lindemann Bentzon Bojack

Architects & Engineers

290 Citrus Tower Blvd, Suite 200, Clermont, Fl. 34711

tel: 352.242.0100 ext.141 fax: 352.242.0302

www.lbbe.com

Internet Email Confidentiality

and kindly notify the sender by reply email. Please advise immediately if

you or your employer do not consent to Internet email for messages of

this kind. Opinions, conclusions and other information in this message

that do not relate to the official business of my firm shall be understood

as neither given nor endorsed by it.