CJP Weld in a Moment Frame

List,

I have an application where I wanted to weld a 50ksi wide flange to the face of a 1.25” thick 36 ksi plate and fully develop the 50 ksi wide flange.  (it’s part of an ordinary moment frame)  I think it would be better to use fillets, but since it's not my call, I believe it will be done with a CJP.  I want to be able to show my client that he should add a fillet to the CJP, or else the 50 ksi plate won't be fully developed and that the weak link will be the interface between the weld and the 36ksi plate.  Also, this would produce a sudden brittle failure, not a good thing in earthquake country.

I would like to find an example calculation or an opinion on this.

TIA
MJ