Re: Historical Yield Stress

Richard,

It has been 36 ksi yield since the early 1960's.  For a detailed listing of historical steel refer to AISC Steel Design Guide 15, "AISC Rehabilitation and Retrofit Guide".

Thomas Hunt, S.E.
Fluor

Richard Calvert <RichardC(--nospam--at)lbbe.com>
02/25/2010 03:07 PM
Please respond to seaint
"seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org" <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
cc
Subject
Historical Yield Stress

I’m working on a build out of an older structure.  There is no information, plans, permits, etc on the original construction, or any of the retrofit work contained in the building…….

I’ve pegged some of the member sizes to ASD Ed. 7 as the last printing that contained their sizes, and one of the members had a W18x60 shop mark, which excludes the possibility of previous editions – as the appropriate designation would have been WF18x7.5 for ASD6
This puts the construction between 1970 and 1980 (maybe 1985 considering many engineers don’t readily update their steel manuals)

With that, I am curious if there were common grades used other/lower than 36ksi for wide flange beams during this period?  And am I correct that the use of 50ksi steel was rare during this period (is 36ksi a safe/conservative assumption)?

Thank you,

Richard Calvert, EIT
Project Engineer

Lindemann Bentzon Bojack
Architects & Engineers
290 Citrus Tower Blvd, Suite 200, Clermont, Fl. 34711
tel: 352.242.0100 ext.141 fax: 352.242.0302
www.lbbe.com
Proudly Serving America's Top Builders
Internet Email Confidentiality

and kindly notify the sender by reply email. Please advise immediately if
you or your employer do not consent to Internet email for messages of
this kind. Opinions, conclusions and other information in this message
that do not relate to the official business of my firm shall be understood
as neither given nor endorsed by it.