Re: CJP Weld in a Moment Frame

On Feb 26, 2010, at 1:40 PM, Mark Johnson wrote:

Thank you for your answer. You write: "but if you're trying to spreading the flange force over a larger area by adding a fillet, I don't think that's going happen."

That is exactly what I'm trying to do.  How can that not work?
The load spreads according to local stiffness. The fillets aren't as stiff as the butt weld and they won't carry as much load. Because the fillet welds are soft (structurally) they deform without picking up much load. In effect the load doesn't 'spread' uniformly. Moreover, shear lag makes for a non-uniform load distribution in the beam flange--much more load is carried near the beam web than out near the ends so the distribution isn't uniform to begin with. I'm not real sure how I'd do this in this case, but I'd probably start by trying to understand from the actual application how the loading actually carries from the pure bending distribution in the beam to a through- thickness shear in the plate. Some of the connection details shown in Blodgett may help.

http://www.skypoint.com/members/chrisw/