RE: Design of blast doors : What is L and What is H in UFC 3-340-02 Manual

Refer to Tables 5.4 and 5.5 in Biggs "Introduction to Structural Dynamics".  The UFC table seems to follow the same logic as in Biggs and the L/H ratio is simply flip flopped from Biggs where A/B ranges from 1 - 0.5 (B/A would range from 1-2). I don't know where the UFC developed their actual transformation factors though…They seem to vary from Biggs.

Regards, Harold Sprague

Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2010 12:00:45 -0500
Subject: Design of blast doors : What is L and What is H in UFC 3-340-02 Manual
From: kapil.nandwana(--nospam--at)gmail.com
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org

Hi,

While performing calculations per the manual, for design of blast doors. Does it matter how do I select my L and H for the plate as long as I my consistent througut the analysis.

I mean does manual fixes anywhere that L has to be the width of the door and H should be the height of the door ?

Thanks,

Kapil