RE: written report with equations.

Richard,

Your suggestions are very good.  I had looked at Open Office, but didn’t want to download until I was pretty certain that it would do the trick.  Hopefully this project will work into quite a few that are very similar and I can fill in blanks and make minor changes.  I also want to look at “tables” so that they can be done and modified per each similar project.  If I was a real whiz with spreadsheets I would write one that would fill in the tables (different values for wind pressures) for different site and building criteria, but sadly I am not that much of an Excel whiz.

Joe

From: Richard Calvert [mailto:RichardC(--nospam--at)lbbe.com]
Sent: Tuesday, March 09, 2010 2:26 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: written report with equations.

I use Mathtype.

It is similar to the native MS version, but with better graphics and tools.  Once the “30-day” trail is over it is still fully functional (with some features limited).  I couldn’t even tell you what is limited, as I’ve never ran into any limitation in lite mode.

MS Office 2007(?) and later have a decent built in editor.

Open Office also comes with a good editor.

If you’re looking for the software to do more than look pretty, but don’t feel like dropping $5k on mathematica then this list could be helpful:

http://karmak.org/2003/linux-scimath/math.html

They are linux based, but many have windows versions or can still be installed over windows with CYGWIN, or the likes.