Re: written report with equations.

On Mar 10, 2010, at 9:01 AM, Joseph R. Grill wrote:

I want to thank you all for your input. I think I will try Word or maybe Open Office since one I have and the other is free. May be frustrating at
first, but I think they would provide a nice report.
Word has the advantage of being something of a standard and has evolved to meet a lot of varying needs. I've been using it since the late 80's when it was pretty much Mac-only. It's always been easy to incorporate graphics into reports from from every version of every graphics program I've ever used, including terminal emulators and FEA output.

I use Word 2004 although Word 5.1 is really the best software Microsoft ever wrote. I think Word has gone downhill ever since, but I use 2004 anyway because it's a little easier on my clients, sometimes. On the Mac there aren't any compatibility issues between the 2 versions, so I can edit old reports made with Word 5.1 and save them in the new version. I don't know if you can do that with Windows. I only mention this because you can probably find old legal versions of Word on E-bay at very friendly prices.

My own opinion is that the mark-up language (Insert>Field…>equations and Formulas>Eq) produces better results than the equation editor because you have more control of type faces and sizes. For example \F (A,B) produces a well-spaced fraction, A/B, which you can use in the body of the report and also copy and replace the symbols with numbers very easily to show arithmetic.

You'll also save yourself a lot of effort learning to use style sheets. It can be a little frustrating, but using styles will same you a lot of effort

My final opinion is that the Master Document 'feature' in Word 2004 is utter crap. I've wasted hours trying to make Appendices that would number and paginate consistently and got nothing but a big pain in the åss, in the form of numbering or styles that wouldn't restart or re-format, screwed up headers and tables of contents that were garbage.

http://www.skypoint.com/members/chrisw/