Diagonal rod bracing

I’ve been asked to provide guidance on remodeling a single story wood framed “stilt house” in the Los Angeles hills built in the ‘60’s. The house is supported by heavy wood girders and posts with crossed steel rods between all the posts to carry lateral loads to the grade beam and caisson foundation. No existing original construction plans. I expect to have a geotechnical report for the foundation, but the rod bracing is mine. I cannot find an exact fit for the seismic “R” values: a wood frame with steel bracing. The remodeling will be extensive so the whole building will have to be updated per the current code. I can change out the rod bracing with steel rolled sections but that still leaves a wood frame with steel bracing. Any thoughts?

Charles Laines, S.E.
LAINES ASSOCIATES, LONG BEACH