RE: Abandoned PT building

I recall seeing several prestressing repairs by the installation of external prestressing.  Something to consider.

Bob Garner

From: Alexander Bausk [mailto:bauskas(--nospam--at)gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, March 12, 2010 2:35 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Abandoned PT building

Andy,

structural assessment and substantiation of degraded reinforced concrete buildings is a common thing with us here, so I feel like putting my two cents worth.

To ensure reliability, they will most likely have to have it strengthened, putting away the corroded tendons.

The corrosion speed is dependent on stress so the PT tendons are likely affected much. Anyway, inspection and assessment report is absolutely necessary here.

I worked on several rehabilitation projects that involved pre-stressed concrete. The building size varied from town church to abandoned multi-storey hotel in humid area.

Speaking of differences, I don't know much about your practices in structural assessment, but in all cases we inspected it and made material tests, then provided a rehabilitation project that included either leaving prestressed concrete as is but with section strengthened, or changing the structural model to change load paths and relieve the prestressed RC.

Hope that helps in some way.

Alex.