Re: written report with equations.

To me, this is the biggest reason why I would try to stick with Word for now.  Since Microsoft is more widely used and more common than Open Office, I would say it is likely a bit more "future resistant" and also makes it easier to share the documents with others if need be.  If you do not need to share the document (such that others can edit the formulas), then Open Office might still be a good choice as it is likely to be around for a while.

The point is keep in mind whether you will need to share this document with others and also keep a mind to being able to edit the stuff down the road.  The big advantage of Word (for now) is that because it is such the "standard", you should be able to easily share the document and it will likely be around for a good while down the road.

Regards,

Scott