RE: Diagonal rod bracing

Charles,

Section 9406 may not apply to your case if you are doing extensive remodeling that requires upgrading the entire house to the current code as you stated. I’d talk to a plan check supervisor.

Oshin Tosounian, S.E.

From: ENGRLAINES(--nospam--at)aol.com [mailto:ENGRLAINES(--nospam--at)aol.com]
Sent: Saturday, March 13, 2010 12:00 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Diagonal rod bracing

Oshin,

  Thank you for the reply and the warning. Section 1613.9.9.6 does indeed prohibit the use of tension only braces, but Sec 9406.7.4 states that you can use rod braces in hillside construction if you use 5-times the load, and the connections must develop the full yield value of the rods. Pretty draconian requirements and I may not be able to comply, so I'm thinking to use compression braces.

Charles Laines, S.E.