Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...

Return to index: [Subject] [Thread] [Date] [Author]

RE: Requirements for PE Sealing for Fabricated Material

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]

For design purposes, I’ve never been allowed to use an out-of-state stamp.  TX doesn’t allow it.  Some states will issue a temporary stamp as long as you apply for the permanent, too.


However, when I used to work for a company providing structural products, many building officials in many states across the US would accept an out-of state.  They just wanted to be sure someone had checked it.  It was sporadic, and not inclined to be a state-wide thing.  CA never did…


Call the local building official where it will be and ask.  He’ll either say “Yes” or “No”.


Jerry D. Coombs, P.E.
Coombs Engineering Services


From: Joe Venuti [mailto:jovenengr(--nospam--at)]
Sent: Tuesday, March 30, 2010 4:57 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)
Subject: RE: Requirements for PE Sealing for Fabricated Material




It matters a lot…..most states will not accept other state stamps unless the person has processed all the paper work.  Here in CA you have to have CA license. No exceptions; I know things are different in TX.


Joe Venuti,  P.E.

Joven Engineering

La Quinta,  CA


From: Tom.Hunt(--nospam--at) [mailto:Tom.Hunt(--nospam--at)]
Sent: Tuesday, March 30, 2010 2:09 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)
Subject: Re: Requirements for PE Sealing for Fabricated Material



It is typically the location that has official jurisdiction which would be the location of permanent installation.  Now that most states use the IBC it is not as much a problem as when we had UBC, IBC, BOCA, SBC, etc.  You do need to be careful about local requirements such as in the bigger cities such as Los Angeles, Chicago, New York, etc.  All the state as well as local requirements must be met.

Thomas Hunt


"bill(--nospam--at)" <bill
03/30/2010 01:31 PM
Please respond to seaint


"<seaint(--nospam--at)>" <seaint(--nospam--at)>




Requirements for PE Sealing for Fabricated Material




I've got some calculations for some steel items that will be fabricated and assembled in one state, but permanently installed in another.
It seems to me that the seal on the calculations should be for the state where they will be installed, but in this case the engineer's seal is for the state in which they are being fabricated.
Does it matter?

The information transmitted is intended only for the person 
or entity to which it is addressed and may contain 
proprietary, business-confidential and/or privileged material.  
If you are not the intended recipient of this message you are 
hereby notified that any use, review, retransmission, dissemination, 
distribution, reproduction or any action taken in reliance upon 
this message is prohibited. If you received this in error, please 
contact the sender and delete the material from any computer.  
Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual 
sender and may not necessarily reflect the views of the company.